I love wearing nail polish, but the one thing that I don’t look forward to is taking the color off. Very few removers actually smell good, so I was excited to learn that UK-based nail brand Ciaté has unveiled a newly formulated collection of Chocolate Scented Nail Polish Removers. Decant sugary scents include white, dark, mint and orange chocolate, making the nail polish removal process a yummy treat for your hands and senses. The ammonia-free removers aim to gently remove colors while Vitamins E and B5 work to condition and nourish nails. The removers currently retail for $16 each online.
The first Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer ’14 ad campaign debuted earlier this month featuring singer/actress/twerk professional Miley Cyrus. The ad features a sulky-looking Miley on a dark beach with two friends. Adding to the darkness of the photos are the star’s nails, which were painted with Marc Jacobs Beauty’s Enamored Hi-Shine Lacquer in BARK! The nail lacquer is a rich shade of chocolate-brown designed with a special formula that aims to replicate the finish and shine of 30 coats of polish.
Want Miley’s nails? BARK! will be available for a limited time for Summer 2014 at Sephora, Sephora.com, Marcjacobsbeauty.com and select Marc Jacobs Boutiques. The product will retail for $18.
Even though there are thousands of nail polish colors out on the market, it can still be hard to find the perfect shade you are looking for, whether it’s a glittering red to wear on the holidays or a subdued nude to wear to the office. If you find it challenging to find the perfect shade for your nails or, if you just like to have fun playing with nail polish, then read on. There are a variety of kits available that you can use to create your very own customized nail blend of colors, effects, labels and more.
Ciaté Nail Lab
Newly launched this winter, Ciaté’s Nail Lab kit contains everything you need to create the ultimate nail polish at-home. Featuring salon-quality nail colors, glitter pots, ombre sponge, dotting tool, funnel, and much more, this kit will have you competing with the professionals in no time. And, if you’re feeling overwhelmed the kit comes with a handy recipe cards and instructions so you can easily create the perfect look.
Have you ever thought of a perfect name for a nail polish? Or, if you’re looking for personalized gift to give a nail enthusiast, then check out Pretty Please’s website. First, you select one of 20 colors; then, you get to name the polish whatever you like (there is room for up to 25 characters).
Inspired by coktails, ‘Tini Beauty Lounge, allows customers to create their own custom blends by “cocktailing” colors and effects. You choose your own Mixer (shade altering base coat), Straight Up Color (nail lacquers) and Topper (special effects) to combine in order to create your own signature cocktail color.
Last week I took a yoga class at the gym and when the lights dimmed, I couldn’t help but notice the nails of the girl next to me glowed in the dimly lit room, and I was obsessed. So, this week I happily tested out Ciaté’s Corrupted Neons Manicure Set, which not only gives you glow-in-the-dark nails, but an oh-so-pretty sparkling manicure for the daytime. Here are the steps to get glowing nails using the kit:
Step 1: Remove the bottles from the kit and admire the cute little bow on the polish.
For this review, I used Foam Party which includes:
- 0.45 oz Paint Pots Nail Polish in Boom Box
- 0.45 oz Caviar Pearls in Foam Party
- Mini Black Light Topcoat
Step 2: Apply a clear base coat to nails and allow it to dry completely.
Step 3: Apply two heavy coats of the base color.
Step 4: While nails are still wet, sprinkle the caviar pearls over nails generously, as pictured below.
I received tons of compliments on neon glitter texture of my nails, and this week, when I returned to the gym, I was the one with glowing nails.
The Ciaté Corrupted Neons Manicure Set is available in 4 shades for $25 at Sephora.com.
Post by Jolevette
If you want real nail polish strips that you can use to show off your own personal style, Incoco is the brand for you. These strips are made from real nail polish and come in a variety of designs. For this review we used “Bombshell” – a swirl of gold, rose gold, and black with a glitter finish. Here is how to apply the product to end up with a fabulous manicure:
1- File your nails to desired length and push cuticles back (this is a very important step!)
2- Find your size.
3- Peel plastic from front of strip.
4- Peel plastic from the back.
NOTE: Be careful as these are real nail polish strips, are very thin and can rip easily. Take your time.
5- Gently, place the strip on nail starting at the cuticle and smooth forward. Stretch strip over nail if necessary.
6- Once strip has completely covered the nail, pinch excess off or if you choose, you can use the file provided in the package. However, I found that I did not need the file, as the excess broke off leaving an even line behind after I pinched it together.
That’s it! You should now have gorgeous looking nails that will last for up to 8 days (the package says 10), but mine started to chip at day 5, which is fine – that only means you can take off the old faster to get to the next design!
Also, unlike nail stickers, these actually come off easily with nail polish remover just like real nail polish, so there is no need to soak first and then peel.
Overall, this is a great product that you need to try. Affordable, beautiful and hassle free! Buy it for $8.99 here»
This 4th of July, showcase your patriotism with polishes from Pure Ice’s Stars & Stripes collection. The collection includes 5 patriotic shades:
- Siren- Crème primary red
- Dazzle Me- Clear base with silver glitter and mirror hex
- Freedom- Red microglitter, red and blue hexes, silver stars
- Superstar- White crème
- Wide Awake- Clear base with bright blue ultrafine and micro glitter
Learn more about Pure Ice and the new collection, but clicking the image above.
A few weeks ago I told you about the launch of Illamasqua’s new Paranormal collection, which features a variety of products with bold hues and unexpected textures. Amongst the new collection are four high-impact limited edition nail varnishes, which look great alone, but under UV light, emit a bright glow for stand-out nails. This week I tested out the UV Glow Nail Varnish in SÉANCE (Paranormal bright violet).
What I like: The color glides on smoothly, making the application virtually mistake proof. Within a matter of minutes my nails were dry so the fact that I was able to paint my nails with a gorgeous color, and run out the house in under an hour is a huge plus. The high shine finish gives you a salon-quality manicure, and the subtle hint of shimmer is playful, without being overdramatic. Séance is also the perfect shade of purple, which is perfect for daytime, but still dramatic enough to complement any nighttime look.
How much is it: $17.00
Where to buy: Sephora or Illamasqua.com
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know that floras are in this Spring. My sister recently got her nails done, and her nail artist came up with the below design. I love the different colors, patterns and materials used to create the look. What do you think about it?
Jamberry nail wraps are a fun way to spice up your style with innovative and creative designs. With St. Patrick’s Day coming up, we decided to test out one of the green and white designs as an ode to the holiday.
Here’s how to add some spunk to your nails:
1. Clear nails of all polish with nail polish remover; buff and smooth with a nail file. The Jamberry instructions suggest that you again clean your nails with nail polish remover, but you can skip this part. As long as your nails are dry and oil free, you should be fine.
2. Find your nail size. Instead of going in the order the nail wraps are on the sheet, size your nails up individually under the plastic to find the closest fit. Not all packages come with the same sizes. Some packages come with round and square nail beds.
3. Once your size is selected, heat with a blow dryer for 10-15 seconds. It should become warm and flexible.
4. Place sticker on nail and firmly smooth over entire nail.
5. Cut sticker to your nail length and file to your nail shape.
6. Heat again with blow dryer and press firmly to seal.
7. Done! Now you are ready for the parade!
Although we thought our nails came out looking amazing and received tons of compliments, there is a slight learning curve that comes with using the nail wraps. Here are some helpful notes:
1-Make sure you really smooth the sticker at the tip of the nail. Failure to do this will lift the sticker off the nail.
2-It is tiring to do the first hand, but after the first 5 fingers, it becomes easy to do, so don’t give up!
3-By day two, the top nail film started coming off the sticker. Therefore, it’s our opinion that these nails are more suited for one-time events such as weddings, dates or fun events like the one featured for this posting: St. Patricks’ Day!
Note: we received the nail wrap used for this article in a gift bag at the Duane Street Bloggers Lounge in February 2013
Post by Delia and Jolevette
A few weeks ago, I was introduced to Illamasqua’s limited edition Speckled Nail Varnish. The varnish was inspired by irregular markings on fragile bird eggs, and allows you to create professional multi-dimensional nail art with just a few swipes.
Where to buy: Sephora.com, Sephora stores and Sephora at JCPenny stores. The Freckle shade is available exclusively at JCPenny.
What I like: The creamy consistency of the polish glides on smoothly and is virtually mistake-proof. It only took one coat for me to achieve a high-fashion nail look. The color lasted about 3 days before one nail started to chip; but after a quick touch-up, my nails were back to looking fabulous.
The effect: Pastel and Neutral base colors are contrasted with black speckles of different sizes. Depending on how many coats you apply, some of the speckles appear more defined, as other seem muted behind the color, creating a multi-dimensional pattern.
Discourse: I received this product for free at a press event
My favorite time of year is coming up in a few short days- Halloween! This blog was founded on that spooktacular holiday two years ago, and what better way to get in the spirit than to make sure that our nails are painted with creative Halloween designs.
British beauty brand Illamasqua’s US Nail Art Ambassador Fleury Rose came up with three DIY nail art designs, featuring Illamasqua’s highly pigmented, long-wearing Nail Varnishes. Below are the step-by-step instructions on how you can get the looks.
1. After applying base coat, paint nails with two coats of Scorn black matte polish. Allow nails to dry for 3-5 minutes
2. Pour out a small amount of scorch onto tin foil. Dip the large end of a dotting tool into white polish and dot onto nail. Repeat step 3 times on each nail. (Pro tip: if polish gets stringy, pour a fresh puddle of Scorn onto foil and continue process.) Allow white dots to dry 3-5 minutes.
3. Pour a small puddle of Serenity onto foil. With the small end of a dotting tool dip into rubber blue polish and dot in the very center of each white circle. Repeat on each nail. Allow to dry 3-5 minutes
4. Dip the point of a tooth pick into Scorn and gently dot a tiny black point into the center of each eye.
5. After drying add optional top coat for a shiny finish, or stay matte.
1. After applying Base coat, paint nails with two coats of Aorta and let dry 3-5 minutes
2. Dip small brush in Boosh, and paint a tiny triangle at the top of the nail. This will create the bow of the lips.
3. Next, paint an oval shape in the center of the red nail to create the opening of the mouth.
4. Allow to dry for 5 minutes (Pro tip: Allowing polish to dry before drawing on nail is very important, or you may smudge the whole thing and ruin your design!)
5. Draw on fangs and lip highlight with Precision ink in Scribe. Precision ink can be layered over its-self to create desired opacity of white.
6. Allow precision ink to dry 3-5 minutes and apply Top Coat.
1. After applying Base Coat, Apply one thick coat of Phallic. (Pro tip: Do not worry about getting this layer completely even, it will add dimension to the sky we are creating!) 2. Allow this layer to dry 3-5 minutes. Dip the small brush in Blow and create a tiny crescent moon. Next dot on very tiny stars with the tip of the brush.
3. Allow to dry at least 5 minutes.
4. Pour out a small puddle of Scorch, then a small puddle of DWS next to it so they are touching.
5. Dip the corner of your makeup sponge into the polish so you get a little of each color on the sponge. Gently dab on clouds.
6. Allow to dry 3-5 minutes, and apply Top Coat.
Recently, I attended an outdoor wedding and wanted to pain my nails a color that would truly evoke the summer sunshine and outside colors, so I choose OPI Nail Polish Nicki Minaj Collection – Did It On ‘Em. I got this shade for free at a press event I attended a few months back, and have been waiting for the perfect event that I would be able to wear it to. The polish is a cross between a lime and a lemon. In bright lightning, it looks very yellow, but under darker lights, it appears neon green. If you could mix the color of the green leaves from the trees with the yellow sun beam from the sky, then this is it in a bottle.
The color goes on a little sloppy, since the consistency is watery. I actually did a double take to make sure this was in fact an OPI nail polish, since it seemed substandard to other polishes within the line that I’ve tried in the past. Even with a steady hand, I felt like the polish was working against me. It took a least three coats before the color was vibrant and opaque, but once it dried, I loved the high shine finish.
You need a lot of patience to use this color. It’s very messy to work with, so go slowly, start with the middle, and work your way out. It took FOREVER to dry. Ten minutes after I applied the polish, I touched it and was left with a fingerprint seal on my nail, so it might be beneficial to use a quick dry spay such as OPI Nail Colour Quick Dry Spray, $12.00 at sephora.com.
Once the color dried it was bright and luminous. It will instantly energize any outfit, and makes your nails stand out. 3/4 stars.
When I got home last week I was so excited to see a cute red box waiting for me outside my doorstep. I rapidly opened up the box to reveal what I had been waiting for – my “Classic With a Twist” Maven Box, from the Julep Maven program.
Included in my box (pictured below) were:
- Julep Glow On Age Defying Hand Brightner
- Taylor Julep Nail Vernis
- Maya Julep Nail Vernis
- Samples of Julep Glycolic Hand Scrub and SPF 30 Hand Cream
Julep is a boutique nail salon that offers trendy nail colors, as well as hand and foot care products to keep your mani and pedi looking great. They recently launched their Maven Program, where you can take a fun style quiz online, and receive a customized box of products tailored to your style and delivered to your front door for just $19.95 a month (valued over $40). Shipping is free, and you can cancel your membership at anytime. If you don’t like the products that are selected for you, you can request to have another option selected for you, send your box to someone as a gift, or just skip the month.
As a special offer to Delialicious Picks readers, when you sign up for the Maven program using the code DELIALICIOUS at checkout, you will receive your first Julep Maven Sneak Peek Box for just $5!
Disclosure: This review contains products that were provided by a public relations firm for editorial review.
This post was actually a family affair. My sister re-created the OPI Cherry Blossom Nail Design originally curated by nail-artist Sophy Robson, and my mom was our hand model.
Sephora recommends that you use the color Havana Dreams for this look, but we tried Natural Environ-Mint ($9.50), which is a very similar pale-blue color, and it worked perfectly! Havana Dreams is just slightly darker and is described as sheer pale sky blue. Natural Environ-Mint is a little lighter and is described as opaque celadon blue. You can use whichever one you want, or even your own favorite light blue nail polish.
This is Sephora’s version of the Cherry Blossom Nail design:
After following the steps, this is how ours turned out:
Below are the steps you have to follow in order to re-create the nail design, which turned out to be a fairly easy process that only took a few minutes.
Get the Look:
1. Apply two coats of SEPHORA by OPI Nail Colour in Havana Dreams, and let dry.
2. Layer on SEPHORA BY OPI Nail Treatment – 3 in 1 Base, Top, & Strengthener, and let dry.
3. Place SEPHORA by OPI Nail Art Gems on the nails, as in the picture. Cut some of the Nail Art Gems in half and place them along the edges if desired.
4. Use a fine-tipped synthetic-bristled brush (like SEPHORA COLLECTION Professionnel Pointed Liner/Eyeliner Brush #17) to draw lines for branches with SEPHORA by OPI Nail Colour in What’s a Tire Jack?.
5. Seal with another coat of SEPHORA by OPI Nail Treatment – 3 in 1 Base, Top & Strengthener.
This was so simple, so give it a try. You can view all the other nail art designs here»
For this 4th of July I decided to show off pride for my country by painting my nails red, white and blue! To accomplish this task, I used the Konad Nail Stamp Art kit. The kit comes with stencil plates, nail polish, rubber stamps and a scraper. What I like about the Konad kit I used is that it allows you to get creative, so I was excited to get to work!
Since our nations flag is red white and blue, I made sure the colors were reflected prominently in the nail designs. I first painted my nails with a base coat and then color. For the first design I chose a blue base, and for the second design I chose to use white as my base color.
For both looks, I selected stencil designs of star patterns. Using a small dab of polish, I placed the nail polish over the design I chose and used the Konad scraper to rub off any excess nail polish. Next, I gently rolled the stamp over the design. Then, using the same rolling motion, I rolled the design on the stamp onto my nail. It was so easy!
To make the design on my blue nails even more patriotic, I used a thin brush to pipe red lines onto the tips of my nails, and then piped a shimmery silver color in between the empty spaces. I finished off each nail artwork with a clear top coat.
The possibilities are endless when using nail stencils to create a variety of styles this summer. So have fun and get creative!
Guest Post and photography submitted by Jolevette.