It’s Friday, and if you work in an office that could only mean one thing – it’s dress down day! For those of you who work in a laid back workplace setting, Friday is just another fashion day, but for the rest of us, the last day of the workweek is heavily anticipated, since we can break free of traditional office gear and let the fashionista inside us emerge.
In every office, there has got to be an interesting fashion parade of people who wear things that make you wish the fashion police were a legitimate governing body. Some people really do take advantage of dress down day, and although the casual dress code may allow you to ditch your restrictive clothing for something more comfortable, that doesn’t mean you can pull out your hot-pink mini skirt, halter top and 4-inch platform pumps. The office is no place to express your inner Lady Gaga or a testing ground for unique, new trends. You still need to be able to find the right balance between dressing smart and casual, so here are some tips:
1. When in doubt meet the two half-way. If you’re unsure of how to dress for casual Friday, mix your business attire with your casual look. Pair dark-colored jeans with a button down shirt and cute heels, for example.
2. If you can’t wear jeans, wear comfy pants. Every work place has its own rules for casual Fridays, and not all businesses allow employees to wear jeans. If you don’t want to be stuck wearing suit skirts or pants, choose fashionable capris, khakis or slacks, which are comfortable, yet stylish options for the workplace. Pair your trousers with a button down shirt or blazer to keep your dressed-down look professional.
3. Wear a simple dress. Rule of thumb with this one: if you can wear it to the club, don’t wear it to the office. Chose simple, lightweight dresses. If your dress is sleeveless, you can throw a nice ¾ sweater over it to complete your look.
4. Accessorize. Accessories are an instant way to express your fashionable tastes. Choose colorful necklaces, scarves or belts to wear over solid-colored clothing, or match your earrings with your top. Just don’t go too overboard. In the famous words of Coco Chanel, “before you leave the house, take a look in the mirror, and take one thing off.”
Do not wear
- Tank tops (unless it’s covered with a button down sweater)
- Sheer clothing
- Clothing with sayings, phrases, jokes, funny images..etc
- Flip-flops (If you choose to wear sandals, make sure you feet are well groomed)
- Any kind of clothing you would normally wear to the beach
- Any kind of clothing you would sleep in
- Any type of bottoms that reveal you thighs
- Tops exposing too much cleavage
- Spandex as pants
- Cut-out jeans
This post was actually a family affair. My sister re-created the OPI Cherry Blossom Nail Design originally curated by nail-artist Sophy Robson, and my mom was our hand model.
Sephora recommends that you use the color Havana Dreams for this look, but we tried Natural Environ-Mint ($9.50), which is a very similar pale-blue color, and it worked perfectly! Havana Dreams is just slightly darker and is described as sheer pale sky blue. Natural Environ-Mint is a little lighter and is described as opaque celadon blue. You can use whichever one you want, or even your own favorite light blue nail polish.
This is Sephora’s version of the Cherry Blossom Nail design:
After following the steps, this is how ours turned out:
Below are the steps you have to follow in order to re-create the nail design, which turned out to be a fairly easy process that only took a few minutes.
Get the Look:
1. Apply two coats of SEPHORA by OPI Nail Colour in Havana Dreams, and let dry.
2. Layer on SEPHORA BY OPI Nail Treatment – 3 in 1 Base, Top, & Strengthener, and let dry.
3. Place SEPHORA by OPI Nail Art Gems on the nails, as in the picture. Cut some of the Nail Art Gems in half and place them along the edges if desired.
4. Use a fine-tipped synthetic-bristled brush (like SEPHORA COLLECTION Professionnel Pointed Liner/Eyeliner Brush #17) to draw lines for branches with SEPHORA by OPI Nail Colour in What’s a Tire Jack?.
5. Seal with another coat of SEPHORA by OPI Nail Treatment – 3 in 1 Base, Top & Strengthener.
This was so simple, so give it a try. You can view all the other nail art designs here»
I was so excited to attend an exclusive Fashion Art Preview for bloggers yesterday, showcasing the artwork of the legendary Bob Mackie, who has adorned the most glamorous women in the world with his glitzy designs. Some of his most famous theatrical costumes have been worn by Katy Perry, Beyonce, Madonna, Pink, Diana Ross, Cher, Tina Turner, and Barbra Streisand.
The costume illustrations, which were on display at the Bob Mackie Design Group’s corporate office, consist of 46 illustrated reproductions of the designer’s most whimsical and imaginative designs over the past four decades. I was left awestruck as I walked around the room looking at all the amazing sketches, while munching on yummy Popchips and drinking refreshing Izze beverages provided at the event.
All of the illustrations come matted and framed, and are available in two sizes, 14″x17″ and 21″x25.” Don’t miss your opportunity to own a timeless piece from the art collection available to the public now. Click here to view all of the illustrations and purchase your favorites!
At the event, I was delighted to be given the opportunity to select my favorite piece as a special gift from Mr. Mackie. I chose the beautiful Floradora Girls “Poppy” (shown below), which is part of a series of sketches done for the 1975 Las Vegas production spectacle “Hallelujah Hollywood.” You can purchase it here.
In addition to the illustratons, Mr. Mackie also has a popular Barbie collection; designs gowns and suits for private clients; has a line of home furnishings; and, a “WearableArt” fashion line sold on QVC.
I have a new accessory obsession: Twosome™ rings (shown in the ad above) by Erica Anenberg. Worn by many celebrities including the Kardashian sisters, Rihanna, Pink and Ashley Tisdale, the rings are an edgy fashion statement, and an item must-have for every fashionista. Erica’s line also includes trendy necklaces, bracelets and earrings.
The designer’s website went through a major makeover, and recently debuted a fresh new aesthetic. “I wanted the site to be modern and clean to highlight the collection,” said Erica. “It harmonizes with our brand style and will allow us to evolve with elegance.”
To celebrate the newly re-launched site, the designer is offering a special discount – use coupon code LAUNCH at checkout to receive 35% off all items on the website, now through July 28th. I’ve included my top picks below, but make sure to visit ericaanenberg.com to see more of the fabulous jewelry.
1. 14K Gold or Sterling Silver plated Soiree Twosome™ ring with Swarovski crystals, $170
2. Mindful Twosome™ ring with Swarovski crystals, $130
3. 14K plated heart “love” circle earring on gold 14K plated hoops, $140
4. Two sterling silver plated half heart “best friends” charms on black leather bracelets, $98
5. Two sterling silver plated half circle “true love” 18 inches and 24 inches necklace, $190
6. 14K gold or sterling silver plated Tattle Tablet charm necklace, $192
7. Sterling Silver jujubee single initial charm on Sterling Silver plated ball chain, $84
8. 14K plated two puzzle charm “love” bracelet on gold 14K plated ball chain, $105
Many people go to bars to enjoy a good cocktail, but one thing the bartender won’t tell you is that the beverage you’re sipping on may have many hidden beauty benefits. Of course you don’t want to try any of the below alcohol inspired beauty treatments when you are actually at the bar surrounded by people. But, in the privacy of your own home you can use your favorite cocktail to tighten pores, reduce redness and fight acne.
Vodka on the Rocks
Vodka is safe to use as a natural astringent to cleanse the face, tighten pores and kill bacteria. Dip a cotton ball in the alcohol and apply. You can also add a shot of vodka into your shampoo bottle, which will help to remove product buildup from the hair and make it shiny.
Inspired product to try: Nailtini Topper Top Coat – Vodka, $13
Made with white rum, lime juice, sugar and sparkling water, mojitos are the perfect summer cocktail, since the beverage is light, crisp and refreshing. Just like vodka, the mint found in mojitos is a natural astringent that can be used to keep pores clean, treat breakouts, and balance oily or dry skin. Add some mint extract to your everyday foot lotion to soothe and hydrate tired feet. You can also combine mint oil and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle to create a natural insect repellent. The limes in the drink are good for your skin as well. Limes are full with vitamin C and flavonoids and can be used to tone the skin and to reduce blemishes or dark spots. Just be careful when applying it, as lime does make skin extra sensitive to sunlight, so be sure to apply sunblock directly after using it externally. The sugar used in mojitos is a natural exfoliant, which can slough off dead skin cells and reveal a healthy glow. Learn how to make a mojito hand scrub here by using all three ingredients.
Inspired product to try: Mojito-Flavored Lip Balm, $12
A very complex drink, a Bloody Mary consists of vodka, tomato juice, celery salt, hot pepper, Worcestershire sauce and a variety of spices. The drink’s tomato base offers protection against sunburn, and boosts the production of collagen to keep skin looking youthful and vibrant. The secret is in one of the main antioxidants found in tomatoes called lycopene, which has age-defying properties, and is known for its health benefits such as cancer prevention and lowering cholesterol. Tighten pores by rubbing 1/2 of a tomato all over your face and neck and leave on for 15 minutes. After rinsing, apply your vodka toner and watch your pores shrink. You can also apply tomato paste to your face for 15 minutes to spot treat pimples. Tomato paste can also be used to deep condition your hair for 15 minutes in order to remove odors from your hair and treat chlorine damage.
Inspired product to try: Yes To Tomatoes Total Treatment Facial Mask – 1.7 oz., $14.99
Every woman should have a little black dress (LBD) in her closet, as it is the most versatile, timeless piece of clothing she can own. The perfect LBD is supposed to be something simple that can be dressed up or dressed down for every occasion. But, not all LBD’s are created equal. While it’s most convenient to have one dress that you can makeover, it can also be a good thing to have LBDs in a variety of styles, so that you always have options.
Dress down your LBD by keeping your look casual and soft. Wear as little jewelry as possible, but if you do want to accessorize choose a colorful scarf, oversized bag, sunglasses or chunky jewelry. For shoes, do not wear any fancy pumps. You want to keep this look as casual as possible, so opt for ballet flats, flip-flops, or sandals. Top off your look by adding a flower to your hair.
A Classic black sheath dress is the perfect option for an interview. If you are going to own any kind of LBD, this is the style you should own as it is the most flexible. Pair it with a blazer and simple accessories to dress for success on your interview.
I am excited to announce that Delailcious Picks now has an official Twitter page! Click on the image to the left, search for @Delialicious on Twitter, or click on the Twitter link at the sidebar of this page. Be sure to sign up so you can stay in the know of the latest news, giveaways, trends and deals in fashion, beauty and more. Looking forward to connecting with you all there.
Yesterday I attended a private press preview and luxury shopping extravaganza at Brooklyn Stone Boutique in the Fort Green section of Brooklyn, NY. Founded in September of 2010, the boutique carries one-of-a-kind selections of indie and international fashion and beauty brands. An avid fashion lover, the store’s owner and founder Regina Stone, takes pride in selecting pieces that are high in quality and exclusivity.
“What’s unique about the store is that everything is bought in limited quantities,” she explains. “You aren’t going to walk down the street and have to worry about seeing someone else wearing one of the pieces.”
Of course, I had to find out what is the most sought after item in the store, so that I could make sure to grab one for myself. As it turns out, it’s the jumpsuits, which are so popular; there were none available in the store for me to see, as they had all sold out for the day.
Also unique about the store, is Regina’s presence, as she enthusiastically admits to working hands-on at the boutique daily in every role imaginable, from operating the cash register to assisting customer with selecting items.
The costs of the items in the store vary greatly, with enough price ranges to fit everyone’s budget: apparel ranges from $40-$250; handbags are in the range of $120-$325, and the jewelry starts as low as $15 and goes up to $200.
As the Brooklyn Stone Boutique continues to expand, Regina plans on adding more shopping events, expanding the store’s personal shopping service, and even starting her own fashion line. Don’t live in New York, but want to purchase the unique items sold at the boutique? Visit Brooklyn Stone Boutique’s online store now»
I then headed next door to the Cake Joy Dessert Lounge, which was founded in December 2010 by Executive Patery Chef Kym Rodgers, who does all of the baking herself on-site, seven days a week, with the assistance of one intern.
I absolutely adore the sea star cuff worn by Spanish journalist Marta Robles at the GQ Elegant Men of the Year Awards held at the Italian Embassy on June 28th in Madrid, Spain. It’s such a beautiful accessory that manages to be simple yet, eye-catching. It’s a festive gem that you can add to your wardrobe this summer as it instantly arouses thoughts of sunshine, the beach and relaxation. After searching all over, I have found some beautiful cuffs that replicate the fashion forward journalist’s designer starfish bracelet.
Keep scrolling to see where you can get your own stylish starfish cuff.