It’s Dress Down Friday- What to wear and what not to
It’s Friday, and if you work in an office that could only mean one thing – it’s dress down day! For those of you who work in a laid back workplace setting, Friday is just another fashion day, but for the rest of us, the last day of the workweek is heavily anticipated, since we can break free of traditional office gear and let the fashionista inside us emerge.
In every office, there has got to be an interesting fashion parade of people who wear things that make you wish the fashion police were a legitimate governing body. Some people really do take advantage of dress down day, and although the casual dress code may allow you to ditch your restrictive clothing for something more comfortable, that doesn’t mean you can pull out your hot-pink mini skirt, halter top and 4-inch platform pumps. The office is no place to express your inner Lady Gaga or a testing ground for unique, new trends. You still need to be able to find the right balance between dressing smart and casual, so here are some tips:
1. When in doubt meet the two half-way. If you’re unsure of how to dress for casual Friday, mix your business attire with your casual look. Pair dark-colored jeans with a button down shirt and cute heels, for example.
2. If you can’t wear jeans, wear comfy pants. Every work place has its own rules for casual Fridays, and not all businesses allow employees to wear jeans. If you don’t want to be stuck wearing suit skirts or pants, choose fashionable capris, khakis or slacks, which are comfortable, yet stylish options for the workplace. Pair your trousers with a button down shirt or blazer to keep your dressed-down look professional.
3. Wear a simple dress. Rule of thumb with this one: if you can wear it to the club, don’t wear it to the office. Chose simple, lightweight dresses. If your dress is sleeveless, you can throw a nice ¾ sweater over it to complete your look.
4. Accessorize. Accessories are an instant way to express your fashionable tastes. Choose colorful necklaces, scarves or belts to wear over solid-colored clothing, or match your earrings with your top. Just don’t go too overboard. In the famous words of Coco Chanel, “before you leave the house, take a look in the mirror, and take one thing off.”
Do not wear
- Tank tops (unless it’s covered with a button down sweater)
- Sheer clothing
- Clothing with sayings, phrases, jokes, funny images..etc
- Flip-flops (If you choose to wear sandals, make sure you feet are well groomed)
- Any kind of clothing you would normally wear to the beach
- Any kind of clothing you would sleep in
- Any type of bottoms that reveal you thighs
- Tops exposing too much cleavage
- Spandex as pants
- Cut-out jeans