The hair at last night’s 21st SAG Awards was sleek and inspiring. Here, Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist, shares her favorite styles of the night and how you can get the look.
SAG Award Winner Emma Stone’s simple, sleek ponytail complimented her tuxedo-inspired Dior gown. “This style has become a red carpet favorite and even though this look appears very simple, the attention to detail is what makes Emma look so striking with this side part low ponytail. This style gives a polished edge to any look as it keeps you looking streamlined.” – Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist
* Start by creating a low side part, focusing on keeping the part very straight.
* Blow dry hair very smooth and straight and then use a straightening iron throughout to give the ultimate sleek finish.
* Sweep into a low ponytail at the nape.
* The attention to detail with the part and the sleek finish really transforms a simple ponytail into a chic style.
* Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over to create the ultimate shine.
“SAG Award winner Julianne Moore’s effortless polished wave is perfect to take the edge of a very dressed up look while still complimenting it beautifully. There are many versions of a wavy look, but to create this effortless, polished wave you need create a good foundation first to achieve an effortless finish.” – Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist
* Start by blow drying her smooth to remove any frizz and promote shine.
* Create a clean middle part.
* Use a light weight hairspray, such as Redken fashion work 12 versatile hairspray, to mist each section before using the curling iron. This will give the right amount of hold and flexibility your need.
* Use a 1″ 1/2 curling iron and use vertically starting from the mid-length to the ends throughout the whole head.
* Using a Mason Pearson type brush, brush through the waves to create this polished finish.
* Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist to create exceptional shine.
Because I have thick, curly hair, I’m always on the lookout for a hair mask that will condition my unruly frizz and leave it not only feeling healthy, but looking healthy. For the last three weeks I have been using Frederic Fekkai’s PRX Reparatives Intensive Fortifying Masque, and absolutely love it. The mask is infused with Argan extract, and aims to restore hair’s smoothness and shine when used once a week. It also helps protect hair from future damage.
The product has a yummy vanilla scent, that isn’t overwhelming and softly lingers in your hair, leaving behind a nice, sweet scent throughout the day. The consistency itself is rich and creamy and coats the hair very nicely.
I usually leave it on for 10-15 minutes and when I feel I need more intense conditioning, I put a plastic cap around my hair and sit under a hair bonnet. The result since I’ve been using it is super silky, plump, bouncy curls. My dry hair always feels re-hydrated after I use it and is frizz-free.
The mask retails for $25 online. Visit fekkai.com to learn more.
This holiday season as you stress over what to wear to the countless number of parties you have to attend, you won’t have to stress about your hair. Why? Because below you will find two easy-to-do glamorous hairstyles with step by step instructions from celebrity hairstylists so that you can easily reproduce a head-turning polished look to stand out at your next event.
OLIVIA GARDEN HOLIDAY 2014 – Step-by-Step – Retro Glam
Celebrity Hair Stylist, Julius Michael, shares his tips, techniques, and a step-by-step tutorial on how to recreate the stunning retro glam look see above.
• Begin with damp hair, using the Olivia Garden Divine Wet Detangler to smooth out hair and detangle knots
• Section off the center portion of hair directly above the forehead, securing the rest of the hair behind the head using an Olivia Garden Double Clip
• Blow dry the hair using the Olivia Garden Heat Pro thermal round brush to minimize dry time and protect the hair from heat damage. Style the hair in a curl using upward strokes
• Once hair is dry, set the curl by securing the hair in a roll using another Double Clip
• Move on to the hair on the sides and back of the head, blow drying individual sections of hair outwards and downwards towards the chin
• Once dry, clip each section into a roll to set the curls
• To create volume at the crown, divide the back of the hair into two sections. For the top section, blow dry hair upwards first, then use a downward rolling motion to finish drying before pinning it up into a roll
• Repeat with the bottom section at the back of the head
• To finish the look, apply some extra heat from the blow dryer and spray the set curls with an anti-humidity spray
• Allow the curls to cool for five minutes, and then remove the Double Clips
• Gently brush out the curls using the Olivia Garden Divine 100% Boar brush to add shine
Disheveled French Twist
• Start with day old hair as you’ll have some texture in your hair and it will be easier to manage.
• Use dry shampoo to really boost the texture of your roots (Redken Pillow Proof dry shampoo is excellent). Spray throughout your roots and even the mid-lengths to create body and texture.
• Shake through with your fingers.
• Use a light hairspray for a little hold – Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Hairspray works best as it is a versatile spray. Mist over all and shake up with your hands to really create body and movement.
• Section out the crown and front area and pin to one side.
• Sweep the sides and back together and then twist upwards and pin. Make sure to use hairpins (U shaped pins) so they can really anchor the hair.
• Take your top section and roll under and pin at the crown for a little height in this area.
Loosen the hairline a little with your fingers to work suits your face shape best then add a hair accessory of your choice.
• To finish, add a little shine by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over – this is very light but gives just the right amount shine you need.
I recently received The Wet Brush in a gorgeous pink color within an event gift bag. Prior to receiving the brush, I have always used a wide-tooth comb to detangle my unruly coils, but the product description as well as the ability to touch the product’s bristles through a small cavity on the plastic covering intrigued me enough that I had to pry it open and test the claim on the back of the packaging: “Best Detangling Brush Ever!”
The unisex brush is designed specifically to detangle stubborn knots, eliminating the tearing, tugging and pulling faced by many during hair brushing. At first, I didn’t think it would work well on my tight curls, so I was incredibly surprised at how easily the bristles passed through, without yanking ripping out any of my hair. I posted a short video on Instagram to show you the results. Click here to watch the video.
The brush features IntelliFlex bristles for adaptive flexibility with every stroke. It also has SoftTips – exclusive poly tips that are guaranteed not to fall off and aid in the prevention if hair loss during gentle styling.
Intrigued? Get one for yourself. The brush retails for $8.99 at thewetbrush.com.
The 66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards was held yesterday at the Nokia Theatre L.A. in Los Angeles, California. There were many amazing fashion and makeup looks, but what stood out the most to me was all of the fabulous hairstyles. Below are a few of my favorites, which seemed to be favorites among the stars themselves, as many of them looked identical as they donned the same hair look.
Slicked Backed Low Bun
Romantic Chignon with Wispy Flyaways
Which hairstyles were your favorite?
Quality: The 3Q uses magnets and electronics to power the motor, which extends the life of the dryer by up to 10x.
Quick: The dryer’s ultra-fast airflow reduces drying time by up to 70%, reducing hair’s exposure to the damaging effects of heat styling.
Quiet: The 3Q makes 40% less noise with patent-pending, noise reduction technology – a foam insulation sits inside the dryer’s rear attachment piece to reduce the noise.
The dryer also features titanium ceramic technology that provides infrared heat to gently dry hair. It also features 3 rocker switches for custom heat/speed settings: 3 heat settings, 2 speed settings.
Conair will launch the tool in the U.S. on HSN in mid-August. It will then be available for sale in September at mass retailers for $119.99.
If you follow me on Instagram you’ve already seen me rave about Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Curl Condition Hair Pudding. Considering the price of this hair wonder – a 14 0z jar retails for around $6 – it really is a great deal for an amazing product that produces results comparable to other high end brands.
After washing my hair, I apply it to my curls while they are still damp and let them air dry. Once my hair dries, the result is a perfect head of spirals. My hair is soft to the touch, not crunchy or hard, and it bounces as I walk. The best part for me is that my curls stay elongated, long after it dries and the definition stays all day. The white curly pudding has a creamy consistency and features pure coconut oil, vitamin E, and keratin. It also has a light scent, which fades throughout the day, which is great since I don’t like my hair to smell stronger than my perfume.
The one thing about this product that I will note, is that you need to wet your hair in order to style it again the following day after using the pudding. It does build up, so you need to rinse it out of your hair daily. Other than that, it’s great.
Our hair often endures many different processes from heat styling to hair coloring that results in damage. Colour treated hair especially may suffer from mechanical damage micro-scarred damage as a result of the penetration of colour pigments during processing. To combat damaged/micro-scarred colour-treated hair, Pureology introduced Strength Cure this month, a comprehensive reparative haircare system that improves hair strength and softness.
“Damage is a core issue for virtually all of my clients. From heat styling to colouring, their hair is really put through the ringer,” says Natasha Sunshine, Pureology Artistic Ambassador and owner of Pureology’s Flagship Salon, Byuti. “With Pureology’s NEW Strength Cure, I can see strength improvement, added softness and vibrancy immediately.”
The first of its kind, the system uses Asta-Repair™ to heal, strengthen, and protect hair from colour oxidation. Asta-Repair™ features Astaxanthin, one of the most powerful carotenoids, with up to 500x the an antioxidant action of Vitamin E that is 10x more powerful than beta carotene. Astaxanthin is coupled a unique AntiFade Complex, which helps to ensure colour preservation. Keravis, Ceramide and Arginine, are also included in the Asta-Repair™ system, and helps replace the depleted cysteine content inside the cortex, while also helping to heal the micro-scarred cuticle to restore a velvet touch.
Here is a list of the products available in the line:
Shampoo, $27 (8.5 oz)
Gentle formula cleanses and helps fortify hair with a soft finish.
Condition, $29 (8.5 oz)
Opulent formula instantly conditions and detangles, improving hair’s touch and light reflection.
Masque, $50 (5.2 oz)
Our lush conditioning masque intensely fortifies and helps reduce breakage for increased strength and shine.
Fabulous Lengths, $28 (3.4 oz)
Luxurious serum for micro-scarred/damaged colour-treated hair helps strengthen the hair fiber to help reduce breakage and bring softness to even the most breakage prone strands.
Split End Salve, $28 (1.7 oz)
Strengthening salve with high concentration of coconut oil penetrates the hair and coats the surface, softening and conditioning your most porous ends.
Now that Spring is finally upon us and the weather is warming up, it’s time to get ready to ditch the winter hats and reveal those gorgeous locks thatt have been tucked away for the last few months. Give your hair a glamorous makeover at The Red Door, with their new express beauty service, Red Carpet Blow Dry, which deep conditions to instantly repair and smooth hair for a silky, shiny finish in just 15 minutes. The professional results may last up to 3 shampoos and can be added as an enhancement to any hair service. Created for all hair colors and lengths, this treatment is available at all Red Door Spa locations.
For a limited time, The Red Door is offering $10 off you next blowout. Here’s how you can take advantage of this special promotion:
1. Snap a selfie of you fabulous blowout
2. Post it on Instagram between now and March 31, using #TheRedDoorGal and @RedDoorSpa
3. Show to the front desk team upon checkout and receive $10 off your blowout.
Who doesn’t like taking selfies or getting a fabulous blowout? Hurry over to your nearest Red Door location. The Selfie Cash promotion ends March 31st.
Pulled back hair dominated on the runways of Paris Fashion Week. Whether they were sleek and sulty or messy and edgy, this hairstyle prevailed. Here are some tips on how you can get the looks styled by Redken Creative Consultant Guido.
LANVIN FALL – WINTER 2014
The hair at Lavin’s F/W 2014 collection was amped up with wet and greasy textures to give the hair a nighttime feel to go along with the evening atmosphere created on the runway. A messy updo glistened on the runway for a very sexy and edgy illusion. Here’s how to get the look.
Redken Products Used – Collection:
– guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam
– argan-6 oil multi-care oil
– shine flash 02 glistening mist
– forceful 23 super strength finishing spray
Create the Look:
1. Saturate damp hair with guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam
2. Apply argan-6 oil multi-care oil for added shine
3. Using fingers, rake hair into a ponytail and secure with elastic
4. Twist ponytail into a messy chignon and secure with open fasteners
5. Finish by applying generous amounts of shine flash 02 glistening mist and forceful 23 super strength finishing spray
MARGIELA FALL – WINTER 2014
The hair at Margiela’s F/W 2014 was kept traditional to match the style of the clothing this season. The bun was given volume with a droopy side knoot to give an overall mature feeling to the hairstyle. Guido combined flex shape factor 22 and flex mess around 10 to give the hair some texture and hold. Once the hair was prepped with product, Guido divided the hair into two sections and twisted inwards before creating a loose knot.
Redken Products Used – Collection:
-guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam
-flex shape factor 22 sculpting cream-paste
-flex mess around 10 disrupting cream-paste
-forceful 23 super strength finishing spray
Create the Look:
1. Apply guts 10 root targeted volume spray foam to damp hair
2. Blowdry with a natural bristle brush until hair is 80% dry
3. Apply a dime to nickel size (depending on length) of flex shape factor 22 and flex mess around 10 into palm of hand and mix together
4. Distribute product evenly throughout the hair
5. Finish blow drying hair until completely dry
6. Create a left side part
7. Divide hair into two sections in the back and twist hair inwards and tie into a loose knot
8. Thread elastic through the know a few times as if you’re sewing a button onto something and tie elastic once to secure knot
9. Finish with forceful 23 super strength finishing spray
CELINE FALL – WINTER 2014
Easy and minimal was the theme for the hair at the Celine F/W runway. “So we are backstage at Celine and the hair is well, very Celine-esque, which means that it is simple and minimal” said Guido I used flex mess around 10, which is a new cream-paste from Redken, on the roots to give the hair a bit of hold and texture. I wanted the product to hold the lines created as I raked my fingers through the hair. This technique made the style feel masculine in a way.”
Redken Products Used – Collection:
-pillow proof blowdry express primer
-guts 10 root-targeted volume spray foam
-flex mess around 10 disrupting cream-paste
-forceful 23 super strength hairspray
-shine flash 02 glistening mist
Create the Look:
1.Apply pillow proof blowdry express primer to damp hair and comb hair straight back
2.Apply guts 10 root-targeted volume spray foam to roots and blow-dry with a natural bristle brush
3.Apply flex mess around 10 disrupting cream-paste to roots for texture and grip
4.Gather hair into a low ponytail with fingers
5.Twist ponytail up until it twists over itself and secure with an elastic leaving the ends of the ponytail out
6.Apply forceful 23 super strength hairspray on the ponytail
7.Finish with shine flash 02 glistening mist