Last week beauty brand OGX launched an interesting campaign called “Bad Ass Hair Day” – excuse the language, but this is what it’s called and I have to say the concept of it is ehem, pretty bad ass. The campaign doesn’t believe that there are bad hair days, and instead is aiming to give women permission and encouragement to think of their hair as “bad ass” no matter how it looks, because your hair is what makes you one-of-a-kind beautiful. As part of the campaign users can enter a “Hair or Dare,” contest on Instagram by selecting @ogx_HAIR OR @ogx_DARE and using. If you select “Hair,” you’ll be prompted to show a hair moment and if you chose “Dare,” you’ll have to do something and share it out.
Hair or Dare will be live until Tuesday, May 26th. Each week, a new prize is up for grabs worth $1,250, which will include a Bad Ass OGX Prize (worth $250) and a $1,000 Visa Gift Card.
For more information about Bad Ass Hair Days and to learn how to play Hair or Dare at BadAssHairDay.com.
Experts from Olivia Garden, makers of high quality styling tools, kept a close eye on the hair trends making the way down the runway at New York Fashion Week, and in their expert opinion, the major hair trend for Fall 2015 is effortlessly chic. From slicked back ponies to textured hints of wave, Fall 2015 is all about easy, no fuss styling for a natural, carefree look.
Here, the experts from the company share tips and products to achieve the most sought after looks from the runway.
To get that slightly disheveled texture with a bit of bend use the Olivia Garden FingerBrush. The fingers of the brush move independently from each other, unlike other brushes, to hug every part of the scalp creating a very natural “lived-in” result. Let hair air dry or blow dry with brush.
For a simple, yet sleek, ponytail start by using Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Pro Vent Paddle Brush with a blow dryer to dry hair flat to the scalp. Once hair is dry, use the tail of the Olivia Garden Style-Up Combo Folding Teasing Brush to create a part down the middle. Then use its mixed bristle brush to smooth hair down and place in pony at the base of the neck. Secure with hair elastic.
Undone Beauty as seen at BCBG and Michael Kors
Chic and easy with a bit of an edge, creating an undone ponytail or bun is all the rage for Fall 2015. Use the Olivia Garden Style-Up Combo Folding Teasing Brush on dry hair to create volume and pull back into a low pony or bun. Then using the tail end of the brush pull out pieces of hair to frame the face. You can go back and tease the loose pieces or bottom of ponytail for a more textured look.
For a sophisticated style with shine and bounce, start by drying hair with a large paddle brush like the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Pro Vent Paddle Brush. Then use a curling iron on the ends of the hair to create a loose curl. Brush out the curls with the same paddle brush to create soft waves. Lastly, use a 100% boar brush, Olivia Garden Divine Care & Style, to smooth out the crown of the head and fly-aways around the face.
The hair at last night’s 21st SAG Awards was sleek and inspiring. Here, Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist, shares her favorite styles of the night and how you can get the look.
SAG Award Winner Emma Stone’s simple, sleek ponytail complimented her tuxedo-inspired Dior gown. “This style has become a red carpet favorite and even though this look appears very simple, the attention to detail is what makes Emma look so striking with this side part low ponytail. This style gives a polished edge to any look as it keeps you looking streamlined.” – Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist
* Start by creating a low side part, focusing on keeping the part very straight.
* Blow dry hair very smooth and straight and then use a straightening iron throughout to give the ultimate sleek finish.
* Sweep into a low ponytail at the nape.
* The attention to detail with the part and the sleek finish really transforms a simple ponytail into a chic style.
* Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over to create the ultimate shine.
“SAG Award winner Julianne Moore’s effortless polished wave is perfect to take the edge of a very dressed up look while still complimenting it beautifully. There are many versions of a wavy look, but to create this effortless, polished wave you need create a good foundation first to achieve an effortless finish.” – Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist
* Start by blow drying her smooth to remove any frizz and promote shine.
* Create a clean middle part.
* Use a light weight hairspray, such as Redken fashion work 12 versatile hairspray, to mist each section before using the curling iron. This will give the right amount of hold and flexibility your need.
* Use a 1″ 1/2 curling iron and use vertically starting from the mid-length to the ends throughout the whole head.
* Using a Mason Pearson type brush, brush through the waves to create this polished finish.
* Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist to create exceptional shine.
Because I have thick, curly hair, I’m always on the lookout for a hair mask that will condition my unruly frizz and leave it not only feeling healthy, but looking healthy. For the last three weeks I have been using Frederic Fekkai’s PRX Reparatives Intensive Fortifying Masque, and absolutely love it. The mask is infused with Argan extract, and aims to restore hair’s smoothness and shine when used once a week. It also helps protect hair from future damage.
The product has a yummy vanilla scent, that isn’t overwhelming and softly lingers in your hair, leaving behind a nice, sweet scent throughout the day. The consistency itself is rich and creamy and coats the hair very nicely.
I usually leave it on for 10-15 minutes and when I feel I need more intense conditioning, I put a plastic cap around my hair and sit under a hair bonnet. The result since I’ve been using it is super silky, plump, bouncy curls. My dry hair always feels re-hydrated after I use it and is frizz-free.
The mask retails for $25 online. Visit fekkai.com to learn more.
This holiday season as you stress over what to wear to the countless number of parties you have to attend, you won’t have to stress about your hair. Why? Because below you will find two easy-to-do glamorous hairstyles with step by step instructions from celebrity hairstylists so that you can easily reproduce a head-turning polished look to stand out at your next event.
OLIVIA GARDEN HOLIDAY 2014 – Step-by-Step – Retro Glam
Celebrity Hair Stylist, Julius Michael, shares his tips, techniques, and a step-by-step tutorial on how to recreate the stunning retro glam look see above.
• Begin with damp hair, using the Olivia Garden Divine Wet Detangler to smooth out hair and detangle knots
• Section off the center portion of hair directly above the forehead, securing the rest of the hair behind the head using an Olivia Garden Double Clip
• Blow dry the hair using the Olivia Garden Heat Pro thermal round brush to minimize dry time and protect the hair from heat damage. Style the hair in a curl using upward strokes
• Once hair is dry, set the curl by securing the hair in a roll using another Double Clip
• Move on to the hair on the sides and back of the head, blow drying individual sections of hair outwards and downwards towards the chin
• Once dry, clip each section into a roll to set the curls
• To create volume at the crown, divide the back of the hair into two sections. For the top section, blow dry hair upwards first, then use a downward rolling motion to finish drying before pinning it up into a roll
• Repeat with the bottom section at the back of the head
• To finish the look, apply some extra heat from the blow dryer and spray the set curls with an anti-humidity spray
• Allow the curls to cool for five minutes, and then remove the Double Clips
• Gently brush out the curls using the Olivia Garden Divine 100% Boar brush to add shine
Disheveled French Twist
• Start with day old hair as you’ll have some texture in your hair and it will be easier to manage.
• Use dry shampoo to really boost the texture of your roots (Redken Pillow Proof dry shampoo is excellent). Spray throughout your roots and even the mid-lengths to create body and texture.
• Shake through with your fingers.
• Use a light hairspray for a little hold – Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Hairspray works best as it is a versatile spray. Mist over all and shake up with your hands to really create body and movement.
• Section out the crown and front area and pin to one side.
• Sweep the sides and back together and then twist upwards and pin. Make sure to use hairpins (U shaped pins) so they can really anchor the hair.
• Take your top section and roll under and pin at the crown for a little height in this area.
Loosen the hairline a little with your fingers to work suits your face shape best then add a hair accessory of your choice.
• To finish, add a little shine by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over – this is very light but gives just the right amount shine you need.
I recently received The Wet Brush in a gorgeous pink color within an event gift bag. Prior to receiving the brush, I have always used a wide-tooth comb to detangle my unruly coils, but the product description as well as the ability to touch the product’s bristles through a small cavity on the plastic covering intrigued me enough that I had to pry it open and test the claim on the back of the packaging: “Best Detangling Brush Ever!”
The unisex brush is designed specifically to detangle stubborn knots, eliminating the tearing, tugging and pulling faced by many during hair brushing. At first, I didn’t think it would work well on my tight curls, so I was incredibly surprised at how easily the bristles passed through, without yanking ripping out any of my hair. I posted a short video on Instagram to show you the results. Click here to watch the video.
The brush features IntelliFlex bristles for adaptive flexibility with every stroke. It also has SoftTips – exclusive poly tips that are guaranteed not to fall off and aid in the prevention if hair loss during gentle styling.
Intrigued? Get one for yourself. The brush retails for $8.99 at thewetbrush.com.
The 66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards was held yesterday at the Nokia Theatre L.A. in Los Angeles, California. There were many amazing fashion and makeup looks, but what stood out the most to me was all of the fabulous hairstyles. Below are a few of my favorites, which seemed to be favorites among the stars themselves, as many of them looked identical as they donned the same hair look.
Slicked Backed Low Bun
Romantic Chignon with Wispy Flyaways
Which hairstyles were your favorite?
Quality: The 3Q uses magnets and electronics to power the motor, which extends the life of the dryer by up to 10x.
Quick: The dryer’s ultra-fast airflow reduces drying time by up to 70%, reducing hair’s exposure to the damaging effects of heat styling.
Quiet: The 3Q makes 40% less noise with patent-pending, noise reduction technology – a foam insulation sits inside the dryer’s rear attachment piece to reduce the noise.
The dryer also features titanium ceramic technology that provides infrared heat to gently dry hair. It also features 3 rocker switches for custom heat/speed settings: 3 heat settings, 2 speed settings.
Conair will launch the tool in the U.S. on HSN in mid-August. It will then be available for sale in September at mass retailers for $119.99.
When the summertime comes around, many people tend to lighten their locks, but it came as a shock when Adam Levine debuted his new blonde look last week. Whether or not your love it or hate it, the “Sunday Morning” crooner looks to be having fun while learning if blondes really do have more fun.
“Every cool dude does it at least once: either a buzz or goes blonde,” says Redken Hair Color Consultant David Stanko. “I would use Redken Flash Lift Maximum Power Lightening Powder and a 30 volume developer to lift Adam’s medium-brown hair to pale yellow. Then, I would use Shades EQ to tone and keep it cool for a cool guy like Adam. Of course, guy or gal, Redken’s Blonde Idol is a must to maintain.”
If you’re thinking about going platinum blonde, or if you already are, it’s important to manintain you’re hair’s color vibrancy by using the right products such as Redken’s NEW Blonde Idol haircare range, which delivers a specialized haircare treatment that is meant to protect plantim locks from the sun’s rays and helps to maintain the hair’s color. The system includes the following:
1. Sulfate-Free Shampoo: This pH balancing, extra-gentle shampoo gently cleanses and strengthens to maintain the hair’s integrity.
2. Custom-Tone Violet Conditioner: Light enough for even the finest blonde hair, this custom-tone conditioner releases a custom calibrated blend of color-depositing and conditioning dual-chamber formulas to help maintain tonality. The violet contains kerabond, violet leaf extract and lactic acid to strengthen and neutralize brassiness for cool blondes.
3. BBB Blonde Multi-Benefit conditioning spray: To balance, beautify and brighten your blonde, spritz in this lightweight leave-in or rinse-out multi-benefit conditioner.
4. Mask nourishing rinse-out treatment: This lightweight, nourishing formula targets porous, damaged areas with intense hydration and smoothness to renew softness and amplify shine.
If you follow me on Instagram you’ve already seen me rave about Palmer’s Coconut Oil Formula Curl Condition Hair Pudding. Considering the price of this hair wonder – a 14 0z jar retails for around $6 – it really is a great deal for an amazing product that produces results comparable to other high end brands.
After washing my hair, I apply it to my curls while they are still damp and let them air dry. Once my hair dries, the result is a perfect head of spirals. My hair is soft to the touch, not crunchy or hard, and it bounces as I walk. The best part for me is that my curls stay elongated, long after it dries and the definition stays all day. The white curly pudding has a creamy consistency and features pure coconut oil, vitamin E, and keratin. It also has a light scent, which fades throughout the day, which is great since I don’t like my hair to smell stronger than my perfume.
The one thing about this product that I will note, is that you need to wet your hair in order to style it again the following day after using the pudding. It does build up, so you need to rinse it out of your hair daily. Other than that, it’s great.