Just like you need to wear the right size shoes for your feet, you need to use hair care that is specifically formulated for your hair type. One company, ProfilePro, has developed a way for you to get customized hair care by just taking a quick quiz about your hair type and habits. The company says that after several rounds of testing, their team of hair care formulators identified the best formula for each different hair profile, including type, texture, behavior and scalp condition.
Here’s how it works:
1. On their website, create your personal profile by answering a few questions about your hair
2. Select you’re your favorite sc ent and personize the bottle with your name
3. Choose if you want a Size ($15) or Full Size ($24)
4. Wait for your custom formula shampoo and conditioner to arrive
This could be a great personalized gift for someone (assuming you know their hair needs), or just a nice little treat for yourself. Let me know if you give the program a try. Click here to get started.
A few weeks ago I attended an event for Proganix, a new pro-series hair care range formulated to give you salon quality results, using what the company calls “nature captured by science.” The line features individual collections that are customized to specific hair needs and concerns. For example, if your hair is dray and damaged, then the line Repair, will add moisture to your hair. If unruly curls are your problem then Curls, will help you create soft, silky spirals that bounce as you walk. I’ve been trying a few the products for about a week now, and my favorite, Quench, which contains a supercharged blend of coconut oil and essential nutrients, smells absolutely heavenly and leaves my hair feeling silky smooth. Other collections in the line include Anti-Fade, Volume and Smooth. To learn more about the collection click here.
I was doing some spring cleaning in my room and amongst the zillions of beauty products I have, I found Obliphica Professional Seaberry Conditioner for medium to coarse hair. The product releases small capsules of Vitamin E Oil, which are visible to the eye and penetrate deeply into each strand, in order to protect hair against color oxidation and environmental damage. It also contains a blend of grapeseed and jojoba oils which moisturize and nourish the hair, while seaberry oil forms a protective shield to seal in moisture and nutrients, and combat damage.
I’ve never even heard of sea berries, but after doing some research I found out that it is rich in omegas 3, 6, 7, and 9 that promote stronger, healthier hair. It also naturally has 190+ bioactive compounds, 14 essential vitamins, amino acids and so many other important elements that make it a powerful superfruit. All of this research made me wants to go out and find the actual berry for consumption rather than putting in my hair, but since it proved to be a little difficult to find, I decided to try the conditioner.
It has a light fragrance that is warmly sweet. I left it on my hair for 3-4 mins per the instructions on the bottle. It rinsed out easily and my hair felt silky smooth, so I definitely will be adding this to my hair regimen.
The product retails online for $26.00.
I have curly hair so I’m always on the search for products to nourish and tame the unruly coils that sit at the top of my head. At a recent event I received Macadamia Professional™ Nourishing Moisture Masque, a product I have wanted to try for a while now. I’ve actually never tested any products from Macadamia Professional, but everyone I know who uses products from the line raves about it.
Infused with what the company calls PRO OIL COMPLEX, the masque features natural oils like macadamia, argan, and tea tree which work to hydrate, reconstruct and repair medium to coarse hair textures. The result: less fizz, silky and detangled hair. The product is said to be ideal for dry, damaged or color-treated and is cruelty-free and free of sulfates, gluten and parabens.
The cream has a slightly pale pink tone and is the consistency of thick Greek yogurt. It coated my wet hair very nicely and was absorbed within seconds. It does leave a slippery, oily residue behind on your hands, but that can be easily rinsed away.
The scent is light and sweet and leaves your hair smelling amazing.
Since receiving the product, I‘ve tried it two ways:
1. I coated my hair, then covered my hair with a shower cap and sat under a hair bonnet set to high heat.
2. I left it in my hair for 10 mins without heat.
Surprisingly, I felt like my hair benefited most with the product when I didn’t use heat since it felt softer. My hair isn’t really damaged so I can’t really comment on its restorative properties, but I felt that it did live up to its promise of promoting frizz-free hair since I was able to blow dry my hair straight without seeing many flyways. I would recommend this product for anyone looking for a hydrating mask that gives good results.
The product retails for about $36.00 in stores and online.
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen that over the last few months I’ve become experimental with my hair. Whether curly or straight or using extensions for extra-long length, my hair has become a way to express my personality, and why not? Your hair is one of the first things people notice about you, and is linked to your identity, security, and maybe sometimes protection. And, sometimes a bad hair day equals a bad day.
I’m a natural brunette, and although I’ve heard blondes have more fun and the 1950s film title “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” seems to imply that specific hair color is favored, I love my dark locks. However, sometimes a girl has got to have a little fun with her hair, so I took my hair to the extreme a few months ago when I got blue streaks. The alternative, edgy vibe was a huge contrast to my shy, introverted self. With blue hair, I felt like a different person, and I liked it. I felt “cool,” received tons of compliments, and my eyes stood out more.
However, I don’t think I have the personality that you would expect from someone with blue hair. I wasn’t any more outgoing or eccentric, but instead the cautious brunette still snuck to remind me that my hair was just having fun. So, if I ever were to experiment with coloring my hair again, I would choose a natural shade that makes me feel like myself. I recently turned to hair color company Madison Reed to see what options are available when I decide to try a new shade. The company creates salon-quality hair dyes that is free of gluten, ammonia, PPD, resorcinol, and other harsh chemicals. You can fill out a quick questionnaire on their website to find your perfect hair color and even live chat with a colorist.
Check it out, and let me know what your hair color recommendations are.
Last week beauty brand OGX launched an interesting campaign called “Bad Ass Hair Day” – excuse the language, but this is what it’s called and I have to say the concept of it is ehem, pretty bad ass. The campaign doesn’t believe that there are bad hair days, and instead is aiming to give women permission and encouragement to think of their hair as “bad ass” no matter how it looks, because your hair is what makes you one-of-a-kind beautiful. As part of the campaign users can enter a “Hair or Dare,” contest on Instagram by selecting @ogx_HAIR OR @ogx_DARE and using. If you select “Hair,” you’ll be prompted to show a hair moment and if you chose “Dare,” you’ll have to do something and share it out.
Hair or Dare will be live until Tuesday, May 26th. Each week, a new prize is up for grabs worth $1,250, which will include a Bad Ass OGX Prize (worth $250) and a $1,000 Visa Gift Card.
For more information about Bad Ass Hair Days and to learn how to play Hair or Dare at BadAssHairDay.com.
Experts from Olivia Garden, makers of high quality styling tools, kept a close eye on the hair trends making the way down the runway at New York Fashion Week, and in their expert opinion, the major hair trend for Fall 2015 is effortlessly chic. From slicked back ponies to textured hints of wave, Fall 2015 is all about easy, no fuss styling for a natural, carefree look.
Here, the experts from the company share tips and products to achieve the most sought after looks from the runway.
To get that slightly disheveled texture with a bit of bend use the Olivia Garden FingerBrush. The fingers of the brush move independently from each other, unlike other brushes, to hug every part of the scalp creating a very natural “lived-in” result. Let hair air dry or blow dry with brush.
For a simple, yet sleek, ponytail start by using Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Pro Vent Paddle Brush with a blow dryer to dry hair flat to the scalp. Once hair is dry, use the tail of the Olivia Garden Style-Up Combo Folding Teasing Brush to create a part down the middle. Then use its mixed bristle brush to smooth hair down and place in pony at the base of the neck. Secure with hair elastic.
Undone Beauty as seen at BCBG and Michael Kors
Chic and easy with a bit of an edge, creating an undone ponytail or bun is all the rage for Fall 2015. Use the Olivia Garden Style-Up Combo Folding Teasing Brush on dry hair to create volume and pull back into a low pony or bun. Then using the tail end of the brush pull out pieces of hair to frame the face. You can go back and tease the loose pieces or bottom of ponytail for a more textured look.
For a sophisticated style with shine and bounce, start by drying hair with a large paddle brush like the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Pro Vent Paddle Brush. Then use a curling iron on the ends of the hair to create a loose curl. Brush out the curls with the same paddle brush to create soft waves. Lastly, use a 100% boar brush, Olivia Garden Divine Care & Style, to smooth out the crown of the head and fly-aways around the face.
The hair at last night’s 21st SAG Awards was sleek and inspiring. Here, Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist, shares her favorite styles of the night and how you can get the look.
SAG Award Winner Emma Stone’s simple, sleek ponytail complimented her tuxedo-inspired Dior gown. “This style has become a red carpet favorite and even though this look appears very simple, the attention to detail is what makes Emma look so striking with this side part low ponytail. This style gives a polished edge to any look as it keeps you looking streamlined.” – Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist
* Start by creating a low side part, focusing on keeping the part very straight.
* Blow dry hair very smooth and straight and then use a straightening iron throughout to give the ultimate sleek finish.
* Sweep into a low ponytail at the nape.
* The attention to detail with the part and the sleek finish really transforms a simple ponytail into a chic style.
* Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over to create the ultimate shine.
“SAG Award winner Julianne Moore’s effortless polished wave is perfect to take the edge of a very dressed up look while still complimenting it beautifully. There are many versions of a wavy look, but to create this effortless, polished wave you need create a good foundation first to achieve an effortless finish.” – Jenny Balding, Cutler/Redken Stylist
* Start by blow drying her smooth to remove any frizz and promote shine.
* Create a clean middle part.
* Use a light weight hairspray, such as Redken fashion work 12 versatile hairspray, to mist each section before using the curling iron. This will give the right amount of hold and flexibility your need.
* Use a 1″ 1/2 curling iron and use vertically starting from the mid-length to the ends throughout the whole head.
* Using a Mason Pearson type brush, brush through the waves to create this polished finish.
* Finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist to create exceptional shine.
Because I have thick, curly hair, I’m always on the lookout for a hair mask that will condition my unruly frizz and leave it not only feeling healthy, but looking healthy. For the last three weeks I have been using Frederic Fekkai’s PRX Reparatives Intensive Fortifying Masque, and absolutely love it. The mask is infused with Argan extract, and aims to restore hair’s smoothness and shine when used once a week. It also helps protect hair from future damage.
The product has a yummy vanilla scent, that isn’t overwhelming and softly lingers in your hair, leaving behind a nice, sweet scent throughout the day. The consistency itself is rich and creamy and coats the hair very nicely.
I usually leave it on for 10-15 minutes and when I feel I need more intense conditioning, I put a plastic cap around my hair and sit under a hair bonnet. The result since I’ve been using it is super silky, plump, bouncy curls. My dry hair always feels re-hydrated after I use it and is frizz-free.
The mask retails for $25 online. Visit fekkai.com to learn more.
This holiday season as you stress over what to wear to the countless number of parties you have to attend, you won’t have to stress about your hair. Why? Because below you will find two easy-to-do glamorous hairstyles with step by step instructions from celebrity hairstylists so that you can easily reproduce a head-turning polished look to stand out at your next event.
OLIVIA GARDEN HOLIDAY 2014 – Step-by-Step – Retro Glam
Celebrity Hair Stylist, Julius Michael, shares his tips, techniques, and a step-by-step tutorial on how to recreate the stunning retro glam look see above.
• Begin with damp hair, using the Olivia Garden Divine Wet Detangler to smooth out hair and detangle knots
• Section off the center portion of hair directly above the forehead, securing the rest of the hair behind the head using an Olivia Garden Double Clip
• Blow dry the hair using the Olivia Garden Heat Pro thermal round brush to minimize dry time and protect the hair from heat damage. Style the hair in a curl using upward strokes
• Once hair is dry, set the curl by securing the hair in a roll using another Double Clip
• Move on to the hair on the sides and back of the head, blow drying individual sections of hair outwards and downwards towards the chin
• Once dry, clip each section into a roll to set the curls
• To create volume at the crown, divide the back of the hair into two sections. For the top section, blow dry hair upwards first, then use a downward rolling motion to finish drying before pinning it up into a roll
• Repeat with the bottom section at the back of the head
• To finish the look, apply some extra heat from the blow dryer and spray the set curls with an anti-humidity spray
• Allow the curls to cool for five minutes, and then remove the Double Clips
• Gently brush out the curls using the Olivia Garden Divine 100% Boar brush to add shine
Disheveled French Twist
• Start with day old hair as you’ll have some texture in your hair and it will be easier to manage.
• Use dry shampoo to really boost the texture of your roots (Redken Pillow Proof dry shampoo is excellent). Spray throughout your roots and even the mid-lengths to create body and texture.
• Shake through with your fingers.
• Use a light hairspray for a little hold – Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Hairspray works best as it is a versatile spray. Mist over all and shake up with your hands to really create body and movement.
• Section out the crown and front area and pin to one side.
• Sweep the sides and back together and then twist upwards and pin. Make sure to use hairpins (U shaped pins) so they can really anchor the hair.
• Take your top section and roll under and pin at the crown for a little height in this area.
Loosen the hairline a little with your fingers to work suits your face shape best then add a hair accessory of your choice.
• To finish, add a little shine by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over – this is very light but gives just the right amount shine you need.